Summer 2021 Internship
Application deadline: May 14th
Perfect internship for TV & movie lovers
Whether you are a future filmmaker, observer of humanity, or you just love the idea of using data science to answer big questions, we encourage you to apply to the summer internship. Non-technical backgrounds are equally welcome to apply!
The 2021 summer internship program will focus on understanding story structure and pacing by reading the most influential popular texts on the topic (Snyder, McKee, etc.) from a screenwriters’ perspective, entertainment-psychology literature on aspects of story timing, as well as by reading and annotating a large number of popular film and television scripts. By the end of the summer program, each intern will have a broad and deep understanding of story structure and pacing, and its underlying psychology, across multiple formats and genres.
StoryFit is upgrading its story structure and pacing toolkit this summer, and this internship program will give future filmmakers, researchers, and others hands-on experience reverse-engineering scripts, thinking through their structure, and helping to build measurement tools that will generalize to all script-based film and television. StoryFit's analytics products automatically read scripts and use machine-learning to infer story features based on audience data. Our goal for the summer is to measurably enhance the quality of our current structure/pacing inference metrics by iterating on our current approach and adding in a few new technologies.
The internship offers the following experiences for accepted applicants:
- Master story beat structures across multiple formats and story types.
- Learn about the social-science of measuring story concepts through readings and guided discussion
- Help optimize web-based annotation tools StoryFit builds in house
- Option to help execute outside studies, optimize our efforts via project management
- Deeply read many scripts in a self-guided way, and become familiar with their structures
- Along with our data-science team, help to push forward the science of story pacing
To apply, please send an email to email@example.com with the subject line: Summer Internship 2021 - [Your Name] by May 14th. Please include attached:
- Resume (your name in the document title)
- 200-300 words answering the following question:
- Why do differences exist between people’s entertainment preferences? That is, why can the same story be appealing to some people and unappealing to others?
- (Make sure to provide reasons, evidence, and examples to support your response to that question.)
- Interest in media/entertainment industry
- Attention to detail
- Good communication & responsiveness to feedback
- Time management & adherence to project deadlines
- This is an unpaid internship. Indicate whether you need school credit for participation.
- International (non-U.S.) applicants are encouraged to apply
- Internship launch date: June 1st
- The internship will have weekly Zoom meetings on Tuesday afternoons
- General office-software and communication skills, along with a passion for analytical thinking are a must. Bonus if you are really into stories!
- Note: This is not a content editing internship. You will be analyzing the script, identifying missing data, or comparing StoryFit’s results to your own analysis
- All interested parties are encouraged to apply regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.